Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Road Not Taken

Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to read Frost's The Road Not Taken in class, but I wanted to write about it anyway because it is one of my favorite poems. Also, I believe that this poem provides a nice message for the reader, especially a message that college students can relate to, as well as anyone struggling to determine their life path. To bring the poem to life, I found this illustration that I couldn't resist sharing. Although the main character in this illustration took two completely different life paths, one traveling the world, and the other going to college, I felt comforted in the end by seeing that both versions of the man had a content expression on their face by the end of the poem. As a young twenty-something, I often stress and wonder where my life will lead my, and if I will make the right decisions. On one side, the man in the illustration is a chef, on the other he has a corporate job. The man has kids, or the man lives alone with his wife and his dog, but no matter what, the man is happy in each picture. This poem reinforces the fact that it's not exactly the path you take that determines your happiness, you yourself determine your own happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment