Monday, January 5, 2015

Rock-a-bye baby in a Green Apple Tree

Today I attended the class entitled Intro to the English Major,  my first literature course as an official English Major. The class began by analyzing poetry, a genre in which I am not all too familiar. One poem that we had to read and discuss was Metaphors by Silvia Plath.

"I’m a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf’s big with its yeasty rising.
Money’s new-minted in this fat purse.
I’m a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
I’ve eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there’s no getting off."

After reading over this poem quietly to myself, I felt a slight feeling of panic. I had absolutely no idea what message Plath was trying to convey.  I understood that nine was an important part of the poem. She's "a riddle in nine syllables," there are nine syllables in each line, and nine lines make up the poem. However, I didn't understand the significance of the number nine. I was completely perplexed over the poem when a classmate cooly answered "She's pregnant." Pregnant? Where did that idea come from? Where does the speaker hint that she is pregnant? After discussing the poem during class and listening to my professor and peer's insights, it seemed as if Plath left a trail of breadcrumbs to aid us in deciphering her poem. 

1.) "I’m a riddle in nine syllables,
2.) An elephant, a ponderous house,
3.) A melon strolling on two tendrils.
4.) O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
5.) This loaf’s big with its yeasty rising.
6.) Money’s new-minted in this fat purse.
7.) I’m a means, a stage, a cow in calf.
8.) I’ve eaten a bag of green apples,
9.) Boarded the train there’s no getting off."

Once an interpretation of the poem was brought to my attention, it made me realize how genius this piece really is. What I thought to be just nonsense had a real meaning behind it. Then came my second realization: When it comes to interpreting poetry, one must think outside of the box. My new adopted attitude helped greatly when it came to our next class exercise- analyzing "Rock-a-bye Baby." 

The literal interpretation of this nursery rhyme would be that there was a baby, stuck in a tree, the wind blew, and the baby died. Simple as that. But when you read the lullaby through a more metaphorical lens, your mind is able to explore more possible interpretations. My group and I began to think that instead of a human baby, maybe this "baby" is actually a baby bird who's mother went away to look for food. While the mother bird was gone, a strong gust of wind blew the nest out of the tree. I thought perhaps "Rock-a-bye Baby" is advice to parents about watching over and protecting their children. 

Granted, there were classmate's interpretations that I preferred over my own, but I feel like this exercise helped me to take a step in the right direction when it comes to analyzing poetry. I hope that as my blog grows over time, my interpretations of various works will become more and more insightful and intelligent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment